Thursday, November 19, 2009

You Got it Dude!

The much requested talk! Brother Carlisle calls me Thursday night at approximate 6:45 and asks me to speak in church THAT SUNDAY! Like a good girl, I accepted even though it almost made me pee my pants. So I spent all of Friday night preparing a fifteen minute talk on being truly converted. Here it goes:

Off the cuff, I don't actually remember but I said something to the effect of:
Hi everyone, I'm Jessica Esplin and I have been asked to speak on being truly converted, but before I start I have two warnings for you. Number one, I have never ever spoken in church before. Not since primary. Mostly because my dad is the bishop and I told him I would say no if he asked me. So I'm really nervous so just bare with me. Warning number two, I am a crier. I just cry. All the time. When I'm feeling the spirit, when something is remotely sad, just anytime i cry. So just, be prepared.

Ok now for the real thing:
The bible dictionary states that when conversion becomes complete, it will change a natural man into a sanctified, born again, purified person- a new creature in Jesus Christ. Conversion includes a change in behavior, but it goes beyond that. It is a change in our very nature. It is such a significant change that the Lord and His prophets refer to it as a rebirth, a change in heart, and a baptism of fire.

Everyone knows the story of Enos's conversion. His father had taught him the gospel and the ways of the Lord throughout his life, but as he ponders what he had been taught, that is when his true conversion takes place. Enos vs. 3 says "and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my hear." vs. 4 "and my soul hungered." Enos then cries unto the Father in prayer and supplication. He prays for hours that his sins may be forgiven, finally he receives a witness from God. He hears a voice that says "Enos thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed."

Elder Dale E. Miller said that conversion does not normally come all at once, even though the scriptures give us dramatic accounts. It comes in stages, until a person becomes at heart a new person. It is a change of both how we think and how we feel.

Much like Enos, I have been a member of the church my entire life. My parents and primary teachers taught me that I have a Heavenly Father who knows and loves me and that Jesus Christ died that my sins may be forgiven. This knowledge has always been a part of my life. In my high school seminary class my junior year, my teacher, Brother Leavitt, challenged us to pray and find out for ourselves whether or not the church was true. So, I went home and was very determined to pray and get my answer. I wanted an incredible witness from God, like the one Enos got. I wanted an overwhelming feeling of truth to wash over me. I wanted one experience to change my entire life. It didn't happen. I didn't see any angels or hear a voice call me by name. I continued for about a week praying each night to know that the church was true. Finally, as I was sitting there waiting for this big event, I realized that I did know that the church was true. I didn't have any doubts. I had always known. I didn't need an appearance from an angel, what I needed was to recognize my testimony and to continue in faith, obeying Christ's commandments.

(some comment about how this relates to building your faith and being converted step by step)
Poem by: Josiah Gilbert Holland
Heaven is not reached at a single bound
but we build the ladder by which we rise
from the lowly earth to the vaulted skies
and we mount its summit round by round

I count this thing to be grandly true
that a noble deed is a step toward God
lifting the soul from the common clod
to a purer air and a broader view

We rise by the things that are under feet
by what we have mastered of good and gain
by the pride deposed and the passion slain
and the vanquished ills that we hourly meet

We hope, we aspire, we resolve, we trust,
when the morning calls us to life and light
but our hearts grow weary, and ere the night
our lives are trailing the sordid dust

We hope, we resolve, we aspire, we pray
and we thing that we mount the air on wings
beyond the recall of sensual things
while our feet still cling to the heavy clay

Wings for the angels but feet for men
we may borrow the wings to find the way
we may hope, and resolve, and aspire, and pray
but our feet must rise or we fall again

Only in dreams is a ladder thrown
from the weary earth to the sapphire walls
but the dreams depart and the vision falls
and the sleeper wakes on his pillow of stone

Heaven is not reached at a single bound
but we build the ladder by which we rise
from the lowly earth to the vaulted skies
and we mount to its summit round by round

President Marion G. Romney explained, "converted implies not merely mental acceptance of Jesus and his teachings but also a motivating faith in him and his gospel. In one who is really wholly converted, desire for things contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ has actually died. And substituted therefore is a love of God, with a fixed and controlling determination to keep his commandments." A great example of this determination are the people of King Benjamin in Mosiah. (Reach chp 5 vs 1-5) What an amazing example of being truly converted. They believed so fiercely in the truth of the gospel and it made them so purely happy.

Richard G. Scott stated that "true conversion yields the fruit of enduring happiness that can be enjoyed even when the world is in turmoil and most are anything but happy." The world is full of challenges. Each individual will have their own trials and tribulations. A big part of being converted involves letting the Spirit of the Lord into our lives to help us overcome our obstacles.

There is a story that perfectly illustrates this never failing aid given by Elder Jeffrey R Holland in last year's conference Ensign. The story begins with a young boy growing up on a large farm in Idaho. His nightly assignment was to round up the cows at milking time. Because the cows pastured in a field bordered by a big river, there was a strict household rule that during the spring flood season the children were never to go after any cows who ventured across the river. They were always to return home and seek help. On this particular day, the boys parents had promised the family a night at the movies if their chores were done on time. But when the young boy arrived at the pasture, he realized that the cows had crossed the river. With his valued movie night at stake, he ventured across the high river on the back of his horse. An adult on the horse would have been safe, but at the age of seven, the boy was two small and at times the current completely covered him. When he reached the bank on the other side, he realized he had done a terrible thing in disobeying his father's counsel and thought the only way to redeem himself was to bring the cows home safely. Maybe then his father would forgive him. Between sad sobs the boy prayed, asking for forgiveness. When he finally looked up, he saw a figure dressed in white walking towards him. He was certain it was an angel, the answer to his prayers. The familiar voice then said, "Son, I've been looking for you." In the darkness, the young boy realized that the angel was his father, he had come to save him.

(crying) God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. Nor will he, so long as time shall last. or the earth shall stand or there shall be one man or woman or child upon the face thereof to be saved. What a joy and a blessing this is in the lives of the truly converted.

So what can we do to ensure that we are converted? Elder Richard G. Scott stated, "true conversion is the fruit of faith, repentance, and consistent obedience." Faith comes by hearing the word of God and responding to it. You will receive from the Holy Ghost a confirming witness of the things you accept on faith by willingly doing them. You will be led to repent for your transgressions and errors. As a consequence, your capacity to consistently obey will be strengthened. This cycle of faith, repentance, and consistent obedience will lead you to greater conversion with its attendant blessings. Elder Scott emphasized that "it is often very hard to actually do what we clearly know we should do." However, true conversion will strengthen your capacity to do what is right, regardless of the circumstances.

Elder Robert D. Hales testified that "knowing the truth and gaining a testimony strengthen us to stay on the straight and narrow path that leads to eternal life. As testimony grows, we become more and more converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ."

Testimony! (Crying)
AMEN!

I'm glad its over. But I really wasn't as nervous as I thought I was going to be. I mean my calves were shaking at the beginning and I made a few very awkward word fumbles: you try saying capacity to consistently, not easy! And I made a weird comment about not knowing what to call where cows lived. But it seriously wasn't that bad! And a huge plus, the man of my dreams shook my hand and told me that i did good. In my head, I said I love you too! Haha outloud I think I just smiled and said I was really nervous! I'm so glad that Kristi and Derrick could come up so I had someone to make "big nervous eyes" to before I started. I love my family. And I love my church. And I LOVE the hot man in my ward. haha :)

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful talk. You are so grown up... :( No that is a good thing actually. I am very proud of you my sweet little baby sister. I love that you talk to people in your mind. You should start telling him what you think maybe not I love you but something like you should take me on a date. HA! Beautiful words thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job with your talk, afterall you did make Leila cry. And you totally couldn't tell it was your first one! I am very jealous of you and hot man so you better make my jealousy worth it and go for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA "I love you too" You make me wanna pee my pants and not even care cuz I'm laughing so hard... at work... where I should probably be working? Idk. You are funny. Your talk was absolutely beautiful, as were you, perfectly given from scriptures & from your heart. I couldnt get over how grown up you are. You men were very cute, thank you Talysha for pointing them out, thats a good friend! Your room mates are so sweet. I'm so happy for you & for the great person you are poopie. Well done. You made momma Kristi very proud:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried again. I am proud of you, little poopie. You will never know who your words affected. Thank you for being a beautiful girl inside and out. (secretly I hope they ask you to play your violin too, music speaks volumes.) Are you keeping a journal of your time at SUU? You will treasure your memories. Love ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED IT!!! AND TOTALLY SPEAKS TRUTH--reguarding everyone---but from YOUR perspective! I loved it. SUCH a good job! I'll be there the next time!

    ReplyDelete